Thursday, October 1, 2009

Scheveningen

February 29, 1944

The bus that we were on took a two hour drive that brought us to the streets of The Hague. The bus stopped and we all marched out. We were infront of a new, functional building. There were rumors being spread that it was the new headquarters for the Gestapo. We continued to march and found ourselves in a lrage room. It seemed as though the process of taking down names , addresses, and occupation would never end.
One of the Gestapo spotted Father and cried out, " Did this old man have to be arrested?" The chief looked at the old man and said, " I would like to send you home, sir. I will take your word that you won't get yourself into anymore trouble."
Father said in respond, " If I go home today, without any doubt I will open my door to ANY man who knocks."
"Get back in line old man" the Gestapo said.

No comments:

Post a Comment